Alexander Barkan MD, FACS, FASMBS
Dr. Barkan joined Winthrop Surgical Associates and our Bariatric Program in 2008 from University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Program in Bariatric Surgery. He has extensive experience in minimally invasive surgery bariatric and general surgery both with and without the assistance of the da Vinci robot.
He also continues to practice General Surgery utilizing minimally invasive approaches such as Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS) for certain procedures including resection of the intestines for cancer, gallbladder, spleen and repair of various types of hernias.
Education and Training
- Undergrad: State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Medical School: St. George’s University School of Medicine, Grenada, West Indies
- Internship: Hahnemann University Hospital, Philadelphia, Internal Medicine
- Residency: Hahnemann and at Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, where he served as chief surgical resident
- Fellowship: University Medical Center at Princeton in laparoscopic bariatric surgery under the direction of Dr. Robert E. Brolin, (a past President of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and an internationally known pioneer in the field of Bariatric Surgery)
Dr. Barkan is Board Certified and is a member of the following professional organizations:
- American Medical Association
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Bariatric Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
Dr Barkan performs various bariatric and general Surgery procedures using minimally invasive techniques and the da Vinci Robot. These include:
- Gastric Bypass
- Gastric Banding
- Sleeve Gastrectomy (gastric sleeve)
- Revisional Procedures
- Hiatal hernia repair
- Inguinal, umbilical and ventral hernia repairs
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Colon resection
Dr. Barkan regularly contributes to society conferences and meeting both with oral and poster presentations.