February is Heart Health Month
When we think of February, the month of love comes to mind. We can also include another aspect of the heart: better heart health. People often make a resolution to start to exercise and eat better in the New Year, but by the time February rolls around, this commitment seems to fall by the wayside. Make 2021 the year to exercise and eat for better heart health.
Where to begin? Don’t try to do it all at once. Set yourself up for success by making small changes.
Start with a fun exercise: with the Pandemic came a plethora of online exercise options. Try classes in air-boxing, yoga, resistance bands, barre, walking, running, strength training or even dancing. There is something for everyone.
Focus on changing one eating habit at a time. For example, air fry your food instead of deep frying, make interesting vegetable and fruit recipes, switch out processed grains for whole grains, or ditch those salty frozen dinners and canned soups and make your own fresh, healthy meals.
Get started today. Show your heart some love.
~Michele Lubin, MS, RDN
Try this heart healthy recipe below.
Shrimp, Pesto & Quinoa Bowls
This heart healthy shrimp and pesto bowl is delicious and quick and easy to prepare. Feel free to add additional vegetables and swap the shrimp for chicken or tofu.
- ⅓ cup prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16-20 count)
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, diced
- Whisk pesto, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Remove 4 tablespoons of the mixture to a small bowl; set both bowls aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until just cooked through with a slight char, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add arugula and quinoa to the large bowl with the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide the arugula mixture between 4 bowls. Top with tomatoes, avocado and shrimp. Drizzle each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the reserved pesto mixture.
Serving Size: 2 1/2 cups Per Serving:
429 calories; protein 30.9g; carbohydrates 29.3g; dietary fiber 7.2g; sugars 5g; fat 22g; saturated fat 3.6g; cholesterol 187.5mg; vitamin a iu 1125.6IU; vitamin c 14.4mg; folate 108.9mcg; calcium 205.4mg; iron 2.9mg; magnesium 130.5mg; potassium 901.1mg; sodium 571.4mg; thiamin 0.2mg.