Dr. Jun Levine is a bariatric and minimally invasive surgeon with NYU Langone Long Island Surgical Associates. She is currently the Director of the Fellowship for Advanced Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery. She attended medical school at SUNY Downstate Medical School and practiced in New York City before moving to NYU Winthrop.
Dr. Levine’s Treatment Philosophy
Her compassion and noted bedside manner puts her patients at ease, while her surgical skill helps ensure the most effective and safe procedure for each and every one.
Dr. Levine performs various laparoscopic bariatric surgery procedures including Gastric Banding, Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy. She also performs Robotic Gastric Bypasses in addition to robotic general surgery procedures. She has extensive experience in Laparoscopic Revisional Surgery. Dr. Levine also specializes in minimally invasive hernia repair, minimally invasive gallbladder removal and surgical treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
In addition to Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Levine also performs minimally invasive general surgery procedures including:
- hiatal hernias
- colon surgeries
- weight loss procedures
Education and Training
- OHSU: Comprehensive Ventral Hernia repair
- American Board of Surgery Certified
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship: St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY
- Chief Resident: General Surgical Residency at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center
- Medical School: SUNY Downstate Medical School
- MD: State University of New York at Brooklyn College of Medicine, Brooklyn, New York
- Biology BS: SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York
Dr. Levine is a member of:
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
- Phi Beta Kappa
Awards, Research and Publications:
- The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award 2010Engel Scholarship 2000-2004
Dr. Levine’s research consisted of the planning, performing and data analysis of studies of chemically modified tetracyclines in animal models. She specifically studied the bio-distribution of chemically modified tetracycline three (CMT-3) in the rat model. CMTs are non-antimicrobial analogs that have therapeutic potential to inhibit tissue destructive diseases such as cancer invasion by inhibiting collagenase activity.
- CollaGenex LaboratoriesIntern, Dr. NS Ramamurthy and Dr. Hsi-ming Lee
- Goparaju, Anirudha; Howell, Raelina S.; Levine, Jun L.; Brathwaite, Collin E. M.. ‘Management of Anastomotic Leak after Bariatric Surgery at a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence’. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2019 229(4):E70-E71 (# 4223262) [Meeting Abstract]
- Shoar, Saeed; Wong, Catherine; Levine, Jun L.; Khorgami, Zhamak. ‘Long-Term Outcome of Bariatric Surgery in Morbidly Obese Adolescents: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of 917 Patients with a Minimum of Three Years Follow-Up‘. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2017 225():E57-E57 (# 3537462) [Meeting Abstract]
- Romero, Christina; Sirsi, Sandeep; Asarian, Armand; Levine, Jun; Xiao, Philip. ‘Giant inflammatory polyposis, a phenomenon of inflammatory bowel disease, presenting as acute large bowel obstruction mimicking colonic neoplasm’. Journal of surgical case reports. 2017 2017(9):rjx174-rjx174 (# 3537832)
- Saeed Shoar, Habibollah Mahmoodzadeh, Nasrin Shoar, Jun L. Levine. Letter to the editor on “Weight regain in patients with symptoms of post-bariatric surgery hypoglycemia.” Surgery for Obesity and RelatedDiseases, 2017 13(11):1935-1936 (# 3537432) [Comment]http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2017.07.010
- Wong C, Mabourakh D, Levine JL and Shoar S. Night Eating Syndrome: Etilogy Diagnosis and Treatment. Austin J Sleep Disord. 2017; 4(1): 1029
- Saeed Shoar, Lauren Poliakin, Zhamak Khorgami., Rebecca Rubenstein, Moamena El-Matbouly, Jun L. Levine, Alan A. Saber. Efficacy and Safety of the Over-the-Scope Clip (OTSC) System in the Management of Leak and Fistula after Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: a Systematic Review. Obes Surg. 2017 Mar 28. doi: 10.1007/s11695-017-2651-4.
- Michael Wassef, David Y Lee, Jun L Levine, Ronald E Ross, Hamza Guend, Catherine Vandepitte, Admir Hadzic, Julio Teixeira. Feasibility and analgesic efficacy of the transversus abdominis plane block after single-port laparoscopy in patients having bariatric surgery. J Pain Res 2013 27;6:837-41. Epub 2013 Nov 27.
- Outcomes of Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass versus Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding in Adolescents accepted for publication in Obesity Surgery 2012. David Y. Lee, MD; Hamza Guend, MD; Koji Park, MD; Jun Levine, MD; Ronald E. Ross,MBBS; James J. McGinty, MD, FACS; Julio A. Teixeira, MD, FACS
- Liu, Y.; Ramamurthy, N. S.; Marecek, J.; Lee, H. M.; Chen, J. L.(Jun Li Levine); Ryan, M. E.; Rifkin, B. R.; Golub, L. M, “The Lipophilicity, Pharmacokinetics, and Cellular Uptake of Different Chemically-Modified Tetracyclines (CMTs)“, Current Medicinal Chemistry, 2001 , Volume: 8, Pages: 243-252
- Chen, J. L (Jun Li Levine).; Bookbinder, M.; Ryan, M. E.; Golub, L. M.; Ashley, R.; Ramamurthy, N. S., “Biodistribution of Radiolabeled [3H] CMT-3 in Rats“, Current Medicinal Chemistry, 2001 , Volume: 8, Pages: 253-256
Hobbies & Interests:
- Ballroom Dancing