Dr. Collin Brathwaite, FACS, FASMBS
Dr. Collin Brathwaite is the Chairman of Surgery and the Chief of the Division of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Director of the Bariatric Surgery Program at NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island on Long Island New York. He has actively practiced bariatric surgery since 1998 during which time he has performed thousands of bariatric procedures. Dr. Brathwaite has previously directed bariatric surgery programs at Stony Brook University as well as St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center, both on Long Island.
Education and Training
- Medical School: Howard University College of Medicine with honors in surgery, where he completed medical school in only three years
- Internship and Residency: St Vincent’s Hospital and Medical Center in New York City in General Surgery, which included training in bariatric surgery.
- Advanced Fellowship Training: Trauma and Critical Care – Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland.
Dr. Brathwaite performs various laparoscopic bariatric surgery procedures including Gastric Banding, Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy. He also performs Robotic Gastric Bypasses in addition to robotic general surgery procedures. He has extensive experience in Laparoscopic Revisional Surgery including banding, bypass and laparoscopic revision of prior open Vertical Banded Gastroplasty.
In addition to Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Brathwaite also performs minimally invasive general surgery procedures with a major focus on gastrointestinal surgery including:
- Treatment of achalasia
- Intestinal resection for cancer
- Removal of the spleen
- Treatment of adhesions
- Hernias of all types
- Gallbladder disease
- Acid Reflux Surgery
- LINX Reflux Management System
Appointments and Affiliated Organizations
In addition to leading NYU Langone Hospital—Long Islands’ surgical department, Dr. Brathwaite has held leadership roles in several prestigious professional surgical organizations, serving on their boards of directors or management committees. He is an Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery at Stony Brook University and has previously held faculty appointments at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, as well as Allegheny University of the Health Sciences.
Dr. Brathwaite has been a speaker at the Center of Excellence training seminars of the Surgical Review Corporation and has served as a consultant to the Health Plan Association of New York and the New York State Department of Health in developing and implementing guidelines for bariatric surgery. He has established and directed Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence programs in both the private practice and academic settings. Dr. Brathwaite served on the Bariatric Surgery Review Committee, a national body that evaluated programs applying to be Centers of Excellence.
He is also a member of:
- Association for Academic Surgery
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Society for Laparoendoscopic Surgery
- International Society for Bariatric Surgery
- Surgical Infection Society
- The Shock Society
- Natural Orifice Surgery Consortium for Assessment and Research
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American College of Critical Care Medicine
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Pan American Trauma Society
- Southeastern Surgical Congress
- Society of Black American Surgeons
- Surgical Section, National Medical Association
- American Academy of Anti-aging Medicine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Awards, Research and Recognition
Dr. Brathwaite has received several teaching awards, has authored or co-authored numerous publications on various aspects of surgery, and presently holds two patents.
His current research interests include clinical outcomes from various bariatric surgery procedures and investigations on the impact of gastric bypass on Type 2 diabetes and obesity using a laboratory model.
Dr. Brathwaite has also been honored as a clinician by being listed as a “Top Doc” by Philadelphia Magazine, as well as citation by Best Doctors in America on several occasions and as one of America’s Top Surgeons by Castle Connolly Medicine Ltd.
Dr. Brathwaite is licensed to perform surgery in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (FASMBS).