Dr. Venkata Kella, FACS
Dr. Kella is a board-certified general surgeon with a specialization in minimally invasive/laparoscopic and robotic bariatric surgery. From a young age, Dr. Kella wanted to become a surgeon, inspired by his uncle and other family members who were doctors, but also because of the chance to use a modern surgical technique to blend science and art to continually improve the lives of others. Dr. Kella passes on that knowledge to subsequent generations of surgeons as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the NYU Department of Surgery.
“Today, I continue to be amazed by the impact of quality medical care for patients with morbid obesity and associated co-morbid conditions. My path is one of continued learning, progress, and growth, and my philosophy includes individualized patient care, shared decision-making, and thinking creatively—drawing on many experiences to come up with the best solution for each and every patient.” ~ Dr. Kella
Education and Training:
Medical School: MD from Andhra Medical College
Residency: S Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, Surgery
Advanced Fellowship Training: University Medical Center at Princeton, Surgery/Bariatric
Dr. Kella also received advanced training and fellowship at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. He was given the 2018 clinical faculty teaching award from the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
Dr. Kella performs various laparoscopic bariatric surgery procedures including Gastric Banding, Gastric Bypass, and Sleeve Gastrectomy. He also performs Robotic Gastric Bypasses in addition to robotic general surgery procedures. He has extensive experience in Laparoscopic Revisional Surgery. Beyond his bariatric practice, Dr. Kella also performs minimally invasive gallbladder removal, known as a cholecystectomy, as well as the management and repair of various hernias including inguinal hernias, femoral hernias, incisional hernias, and umbilical hernias.
Other Procedures Dr. Kella Performs Include:
- Adjustable gastric band/lap band
- Colorectal surgery
- Surgery for the treatment of achalasia
- Surgical treatment of Gerd or chronic acid reflux
- Member, American College of Surgeons
- Member, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Publications and Clinical Trails:
- Laparoscopic Management Of An Internal Hernia In A Pregnant Woman With Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Kannan, Umashankkar; Gupta, Ranjan; Gilchrist, Brian F; Kella, Venkata N BMJ Case Reports. 2018 Apr 19; 2018:
- Impact Of Complete Mesenteric Closure On Small Bowel Obstruction And Internal Mesenteric Hernia After Laparoscopic Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Brolin, Robert E; Kella, Venkata N Surgery For Obesity & Related Diseases. 2013 Nov-Dec; 9(6):850-4
- Appendicitis, Is It An Emergency? Udgiri, Navalkishor; Curras, Ernesto; Kella, Venkata K; Nagpal, Kamal; Cosgrove, John American Surgeon. 2011 Jul ; 77(7):898-901
FAQ’s With Dr. Kella:
Dr. Kella sees patients at our Garden City, Huntington, and Patchogue, Long Island offices. Call today to make an appointment!